Month: September 2011

About projects

  • A project is one small step for the project sponsor, one giant leap for the project manager. 
  • Good project management is not so much knowing what to do and when, as knowing what excuses to give and when. 
  • If everything is going exactly to plan, something somewhere is going massively wrong. 
  • Everyone asks for a strong project manager – when they get him they don’t want him. 
  • Overtime is a figment of the naïve project manager’s imagination. 
  • Quantitative project management is for predicting cost and schedule overruns well in advance. 
  • Good project managers know when not to manage a project. 
  • All project managers face problems on Monday mornings – good project managers are working on next Monday’s problems. 
  • For a project manager, overruns are as certain as death and taxes. 
  • If there were no problem people there’d be no need for people who solve problems. 
  • Some projects finish on time in spite of project management best practices. 
  • Good project managers admit mistakes: that’s why you so rarely meet a good project manager. 
  • Fast – cheap – good: you can have any two. 
  • There is such a thing as an unrealistic timescale. 
  • The more ridiculous the deadline the more money will be wasted trying to meet it. 
  • The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%. 
  • The project would not have been started if the truth had been told about the cost and timescale. 
  • To estimate a project, work out how long it would take one person to do it then multiply that by the number of people on the project.
  • Never underestimate the ability of senior management to buy a bad idea and fail to buy a good idea. 
  • The most successful project managers have perfected the skill of being comfortable, about being uncomfortable. 
  • When the weight of the project paperwork equals the weight of the project itself, the project can be considered complete.
  • If it happens once it’s ignorance, if it happens twice it’s neglect, if it happens three times it’s policy. 
  • You can build a reputation on what you’re going to do.